Joel M. Toledo
I will conclude by saying that Z
Is an A with the luxury of hindsight
— Stanford Friedman
- Something. Sight.
- Depth. Water quickly making sense.
- Plot. Coastlines. Animals emerging. Flight and fall. Ground and collision.
- Tone. Exposure and gradations. The relenting of dark. More views and hues.
- Texture. A leaf against the sunlight. Waking up from dreams. Pain of fire. Feeling.
- Sound. A definition for the simple. Syllables.
- Complexity. Howling in the evening. The nod, the grunt. More gestures.
- The line. Fear explained in vain. More and more abstractions discovered. Prayer.
- Surrender. Pointing. Carving to make pointed. Patience. The kill, because hunger. Murder.
- Victory. Craving. The beginning of adjectives.
- Adjectives thriving. Awe, then boredom. Pity, then anger. More anger.
- The realization that verbs arrived long before.
- Declarations. Cruelty in scrolls. Warrior paint and red soil.
- Conquests. Defeats. A return to nouns. Scribes now turning from chroniclers to historians. Others surveying fallen pillars, examining newly risen banners.
- Calligraphy. Days and days of quiet and solitude.
- Music. Bards.
- Temperance. Cultivation. Culture. Regret and remorse. Reconstruction.
- It is to be called denouement, someone whispers, and all the scholars agree.
- Attempts at heightening the language. A great care for diction. The risk of metaphor.
- Entropy | Grace
Joel M. Toledo is a Guest Contributor to Panorama.
Share this piece: